Sunday, 3/1/09: Dan Does Not Win

NYT, LAT, CS untimed ... MR 6:06 ... BG 4:30 ... Acrostic 10:15

I'll be blogging in full about my ACPT experience, beginning no earlier than tomorrow. As you know if you're reading this, I finished 4th (tied for first in total points) and won the B Division, but would have had a crack at the $5,000 if I'd gotten a little more sleep last night. It goes without saying that I had a blast and enjoyed meeting and chatting with everyone...

I solved the LAT in the car on the way to Brooklyn, the Sunday Challenge while talking to Amanda at our solving stations, and the impressively themed but unexcitingly filled NYT right before Puzzle 7 started. For some reason, I have no desire to look at Merl's or tomorrow's NYT.

7 comments:

Joon said...

has a four-way tie for first ever happened before? what was the tiebreaker?

Anonymous said...

Nevertheless, Dan Is A Winner. Amazing stuff, Dan! I know it's hard to have to wait another year, but I feel sure you'll be putting the time to good use. :-)

Anne E.

Joon said...

it's obvious why you didn't win, though, isn't it? haven't been doing enough practice puzzles this year. :P

seriously... a real heart-breaker, and not just because i had virtual money riding on you. what about poor john beck, who was dumped out of the B finals because of that tiebreaker?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! It was great meeting you after the luncheon yesterday. I don't know if I told you then, but I had been saying for the last several months that you were the one everyone else had to watch out for. (I may now start saying that about Joon for next year.) I'm really glad that neither of you lives in CT!

Jan (danjan)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, congrats! You'll get 'em next year, I'm sure.

By the way, I don't know how you found my web site, but thanks for linking to me and sending some traffic my way.

Dan said...

Joon, John Beck missed the B finals last year because of a lost puzzle paper... is this what you're thinking of? This year, he must have had an error or two.

Jan, thanks, likewise, and congrats yourself!

Alex, from the Crossword Fiend comment box many months ago. I have you to thank for linking to the syndicator's site that archives the LAT puzzles... I went back and solved scores of Fridays and Saturdays from the last few years.

Joon said...

oh... no, i was just pointing out that john beck would have been in the B finals *this* year if you had been in the A finals.