Saturday, 3/21/09

NYT 4:08 ... LAT 2:33 ... CS 2:08 ... ND 3:10

Going to write a little tonight because I'm gone all day tomorrow... Pretend these are comments on other blogs. Was it me, or was that one of the easiest Saturday Stumpers in the last couple years? Ray Hamel's puzzles are way more pop-culture-y than most Stumpers, which helps.

Great LAT from Doug Peterson, though not too challenging... mmm, ELISHA Cuthbert... whatever happened to her? Anyway, when TYPERS is the weakest entry, that's a rock-solid grid.

In the NYT, I liked the almost-mini-theme of "Forget it!" expressions; too bad Mr. Wolfe couldn't get one in the SE stack! Hardest area was the SE, where I couldn't get any of the nine-letter acrosses off the first few letters and had to peck around to finish. RANDALL Cunningham was my fantasy football quarterback for many years, and my favorite non-49ers player. Good to see him! Interesting that Shortz clued HAIM as Corey today, and Newman went with the Hebrew word that's usually spelled CHAIM.

Not to leave out El Blindito, whose genius CS theme I didn't figure out until after solving. I should have just taken the 10 or 15 seconds, after I had two themers filled in, to work it out so I could try puzzling out the other ones. Nobody cares if I break 2 minutes... gotta enjoy the crosswords too.