Sunday, 4/12/09

NYT 4:57 ... LAT 3:49 ... BG 6:29 ... MR 6:44 ... ND 4:00 ... LATB 5:09 ... CS 1:49 ... Acrostic 17:16

The Hex and Reagle puzzles both gave me some trouble. Apparently I don't know very many Beatles songs! Fortunately, Eric Berlin's excellent NYT got me smiling, both at the fun fill and at my solving time.

In ten years, Nancy Salomon has apparently never made a Sunday Challenge for CrosSynergy. Her 72-worder today is extremely smooth, of course, but way easy.

Miscellany...
I've officially started solving cryptic crosswords! It took less than a half-hour to finish the first two puzzles in 101 Cryptic Crosswords (and grok all the clues), so it hasn't been too scary. I'm missing some obvious cue words, and solving "backwards" often (guessing the answer off of crossings and a definition word), but I suspect that pretty soon I'll be looking for recommendations on the next difficulty level...

Got my new World's Most Ornery Crosswords collection! Unlike the copy I tossed in the BCPT prize pool, this one doesn't have the fancy fold-out design for accessing the Easy clues. But it's easy enough to tear out the Easy clue pages.

Nice synergy with today's Boston Globe: Ornery #2 by Cox/Rathvon contains what may be my favorite clue of all time: [John (words) and Paul (music)]. Six letters ending in S...

1 comment:

Joon said...

i knew every single one of the beatles songs in the theme, and it still gave me trouble... though not as much as merl's puzzle did.